Monday, October 8, 2012

Qamil's Top 10: Ohio Vocalists (2012)


People always ask me who my favorite underground singers are .  When you're an artist it comes with the territory. Folks want to know who you think is good and who you think sucks.  I personally see no benefit in listing the people that I am not a fan of.  Now that doesn't mean I don't think there are some singers that should hang up the mic forever but I digress. 

I want to take some time to share some of my favorite Ohio artists .  I have seen all of these artists perform, listen to their music or watch their youtube videos often. I  am a genuine fan of what they bring to the Ohio music scene through their talent and drive.  I have to say this. I am partial to SANGERS.  Singers are cool too BUT there is NOTHING like a SANGER.  I love an artist that can make me feel something and make me think.  I love that connection of music and real life.  These artists all bring that to the table.  They know what they're doing and I salute each and every one of them.  If you aren't hip....GET HIP.


All right.  Here we go in no particular order....Qamil's Top Ten Ohio Vocalists...DRUMROLL....




I was introduced to Sam after his manager (S/o Rico) hit me up on Facebook about a Soul Dope event.  I went to his reverb page and was BLOWN AWAY.  I listened to every song on his page and fell in love with his voice.  If Carl Thomas and Bilal had a love child it would be Sam Goodi. LOL.  My fav Sam Goodi song is  "Everthing & Then Some" which I had the pleasure of hearing him sing live.  One word.  #AWESOME



2.  Ella Starr (Columbus, Oh)

I was sitting in the audience at a comedy show the first time I saw Ella Starr perform.  Prior to that day I'd heard her name thrown around a few times and listened to some of her original material online.   I remember thinking she was so calm when she got on stage.  She didn't look nervous at all.  Then she opened her mouth and I knew why!  She sang Chrisette Michele's "If I Had My Way" as if it was written for her.  THAT is how cover songs are meant to be done. Here is the video from that night.




So he can sing AND he plays the sax? Why yes. In fact he can!  Dave Speed is a great artist all around.   He's a musician. His voice is smooth as hell.  His original music is wonderful and he is a consummate professional.  The last time I watched him perform I completely understood why he won the Ohio Hip Hop Award for best male vocalist.


Check out Dave Speeds video "The Way You Move" below.






Ray Woods as some MEAN eye contact.  This guy is a serenading machine.  I watching him make a woman's hand twitch as he sang to her. #FACT  Besides that invaluable skill, he is also an awesome vocalist.  Ray Woods is a pro at keeping the romance in music.  He's all about the foot massages, flowers and bubble baths and that is something I believe is missing from today's R&B.  I appreciate an artist like Ray and I'm sure there are many ladies who feel the same way.


Check out Ray's hit single "SO GOOD"




I stumbled across Lolah Brown as I was filling out my ballot for the Ohio Hip Hop Awards.  I never heard of her but she was a nominee for best female vocalist so I popped her name in youtube.  I became an instant fan.   I got to see her perfom at the awards show and thought she was great on stage.  She makes good music that I can relate to as a woman.  Her videos are dope and I love her voice.

 Check out Lolah's video, "Movin On"



6. K. Daniel Eaddy (Columbus, Oh)


When I hear this name I think of one word "RANGE".  This guy can sing notes that I can only DREAM about singing.  How many men can hit the same notes as Patti Labelle?  I'll wait?  Exactly.  K. Eaddy is one of them.  His voice is PHENOMENAL.  




7.  Renee Dion (Columbus, Oh)

Renee Dion is the quintessential soul singer.  You have to be deaf to miss the jazz influences in her sound.  That sound is the reason she is on my top 10 list.  Whether she is beating a tambourine on her hip or just grooving to the music, the audience can tell that she FEELS every word that is coming out of her mouth.  Her voice is rich and warm.  She creates thought provoking music and she sings about things that really matter and I LOVE that about her.  She is an artist full of substance. 




8. MJ TheStar (Columbus, Oh)

MJ is my FAVORITE favorite.  I really believe in my heart and soul that he is a superstar.  The combination of his voice and stage presence makes him a standout.  He executes songs in a way that leaves you wanting more.  I believe he is at his absolute best when he sings Soul music and there is nothing but him, the mic and the music....and his dope ass blazers. Can't forget about that! MJ is known for his fashion choices just as much as his stunning voice.  

I will NOT be satisfied until I see him sing this "Purple Rain" cover for myself.  
(Comes in at the 2:10 mark)



9.  Matt Seward (Columbus, Oh)

Lead singer of the band Carpe Diem and born crooner, Matt Seward is an incredible vocalist.  This dude's voice is like BUTTER.  Seriously.  I have heard him sing more than a few times and I honestly can't pick a favorite song.  Ok I lied.  LOL. I know which one is my fav. His cover of Musiq's "So Beautiful" is perfection.  I have a wish that one day in the near future I will have a Matt Seward album to play in my house, car and job:)





10.  Daleah Wilson ask Lyrikal Goddess (Columbus, Oh)

LG has strong voice AND she is a dope rapper.   That in itself is special.   I'll be honest.  I'm not a big fan of female rappers. They kind of bore me but I couldn't help but be impressed when I saw this woman on stage.  She switched from soulful songstress to fire breathing MC in the blink of an eye. LOL.  My favorite thing about watching LG perform is her stage presence.  She's comfortable and confident and audiences love her:)



So there you have it ladies and gentlemen!  Do yourselves a favor and keep and eye on and two ears open for these people.  If you see their names on a show attend and support.  I promise you won't be disappointed.  They definitely represent some of the best talent that The Buckeye state has to offer.  I predict big things from each of them in the future:)

Qamil:)

No comments:

Post a Comment