Wednesday, August 22, 2012

GOOD LOVE.....GOOD MUSIC

The same elements that go into making GOOD love should also go into making GOOD music.  Spontaneity.  Creativity. Focus. Passion.
~QAMIL~

As the release of my album, SOUL DOPE, approaches I have so many thoughts racing through my mind.  I can’t think of many words to describe what I felt after I recorded the very last word on the project.  I suppose a roller coaster analogy would be most appropriate as I truly felt a wave of emotions.  One minute I was ecstatic then I was relieved to be done with the 10 hour recording sessions THEN I was sick to my stomach.    Hell, I even panicked a little bit as I thought, What if I didn’t say enough?  What if I said too much?  What if I would have sang this or that note differently?  What if nobody likes the music? 

It took me a year to finish SOUL DOPE.  The song lists changed.  The producers changed.  The direction changed.  The sound changed.  My LIFE changed which meant the things that I had to say changed right along with it.  This is not really a bad thing but it does create a challenge for an artist that is determined to write about things that are authentic and true to their life and experiences.  I am one of those artists.

The number one reason that I was so adamant about being the sole writer on this album was because I didn’t feel like anyone else could capture my thoughts, feelings and experiences better than I could.  I didn’t want to make songs that I THOUGHT people wanted to hear.  I wanted to make music that was REAL and the evoked some kind of emotion inside of me when I created it.  By taking my time and really focusing on exploring musically and lyrically I was able to do just that.

SOUL DOPE is my BABY.  This project and the process of seeing it come to life has changed me.  It has made me more confident in my abilities as an artist.  It has made me feel a renewed determination to do my part in bringing back and promoting REAL music.    Personally, I feel like real music never died.  People just stopped looking for and buying it after radio decided to stop playing it BUT that is a totally different topic so I digress (for now).   I am proud to be a part of the solution and not the problem and I PROMISE to always make GOOD MUSIC!

~Qamil~

SOUL DOPE drops Friday, September 28, 2012!!!!!
#STAYTUNED
Follow me on Twitter- 1Qamil
Facebook- /Qamil

2 comments:

  1. Hello Qamil...I'm intrigued to learn more...I'm on this ride...interested in seeing where ur music will take me...I too love music... I'm starting a blog progress as well and I would love to interview you and highlight your progress...if interested please hit my inbox...
    Sincerly, Mzgettum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to do an interview. Just let me know!

      Delete